You must have the Adobe Flash Plugin version 10.2 or greater installed to view maps.
You can get it here.
The data for the map is based on DoD 2006 annual report on DoD contracts. The original report has over 1.25 million contracts. For the current map, only those records worth $10K or more were selected, which were then geocoded and grouped by Defense contractor (52,127). Of which only those in the lower 48 states were selected (50,929) which were then geographically assigned and aggregated to 433 congressional districts (109th Congress).
The ranking of congressional districts by dollar value of total defense contract is given below:
1. Virginia's 8th district $11.789 billion (985 defense contractors)
2. Virginia's 10th district $6.096 billion (664 defense contractors)
3. California's 53rd district $3.034 billion (325 defense contractors)
4. Virginia's 11th district $2.931 billion (514 defense contractors)
5. Alabama's 1st district $2.585 billion (335 defense contractors)
Note that there are over 5000 defense contractors that are located outside of the 50 U.S. states and Wash. D.C., with total defense contracts worth $7.066 billlion. The largest among these is worth over $1.45 billion to a company providing warehousing services and is based in a middle-east country.Created January 02, 2009 at 05:13 AM
Tagged with: defense